Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Getting Healthy and Fit - In Utah

What better time to start a blog than when I'm starting a new adventure!


I've been focused on living a healthy lifestlyle and last year, made a personal decision to give up meat, most dairy, and most processed food. Through that lifestyle change, I lost weight and felt much better. But that didn't do anything for my fitness level. So, in an effort to jumpstart my workout program, I enrolled in a 4-week fitness camp - in Utah called Fitness Ridge (now The Biggest Loser Resort).

After packing tons of workout clothes, new tennis shoes, and my doggie, I headed for the airport. I arrived this past Sunday - full of excitment and anticipation. Well, that all ended Monday morning when, at 6:30am, I headed out for my first hike in the mountains. By 7:15, not only was I ready to stop - I didn't think I had the energy to turn around. Instead, I just wanted to lay down by the side of the road and hope that someone would come by and pick me up!
But just when I was ready to give up, one of the guides came back to me and said 4 simple words - "You Can Do It". And for the last mile of the 4.5 mile hike (which was all incline), she helped me set a walking pace and talked me all the way to the top. I don't know how I would have made it without her.

What about you? Who is your supporter and encourager? Who can you count on to help you when you are ready to give up? Is it your spouse, a family member, a mentor, a coach, or someone you don't know but admire from afar. If you don't have someone, it's important that you find someone. They are the ones that will be your cheerleader - even when you're ready to lay out on the side of the road!

By the way, that hike was followed by yogalates, cardio circuit, circuit training, aquacise and tai chai. Yep, that's 6 hours of exercise - and that was just day 1!

I know what you're thinking - you're thinking with all that activity, we must be getting a ton of food for energy. Yeah, right. On my next blog entry in a couple of days, I'll tell you about the food. I'll keep you posted...just 27 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment