Friday, January 21, 2011

Most People Won't

I love talking to people and hearing about their goals, what they want to accomplish, the life they want to create for themselves, and the legacy they want to leave behind.  I have conversations all the time with people I meet at networking events, business groups, and at social gatherings.  And when they find out I'm a personal development coach, they really come strong. 

I get to hear about the business they are starting, the book they are writing, the non-profit they plan to launch, the new job they are going to get, the degree they want to pursue, and the vacations they want to take.  I can hear their excitement, feel their energy, hear the faith and belief in their words, and get drawn in by their conviction to success.  But inside, I know the truth.

Most people won't come close.

It's sad...but true. Most people will continue to live in that stage of having a goal, sharing a goal and even convincing themselves that SOMEDAY they will get that goal.

You know the people I'm talking about. Every time you talk to them, they are talking about the same goal and when you ask how much progress they've made since the last conversation with them....the excuses come:

  • Well, you know, my job keeps me so busy.
  • Well, you know, with the economy, it's been hard.
  • Well, you know, I just haven't found the time.
  • Well, you know, I was planning on doing X, but Y got in the way.
  • Well, you know, the person that was suppose to help me didn't come through.
The part that really amazes me is that most people actually believe that their excuses are legitimate.  They believe the lie they tell themselves because it makes them feel better and provides the excuse they need to accommodate their lack of progress.  Giving explanations and excuses make them feel better, because it prevents them from facing the truth. What truth should they face?

They are scared.
They are afraid.
They fear failure.
They fear success.
They don't know where to start.
They don't know who to ask for help.
They doubt their talent.
They question their gift.
They fear the unknown.
They wonder what people will think.

Now, I know that you are not that type of person. I know that you are actively moving towards your goals and making real progress. I know that you are not still talking about the same things you talked about last year, and the year before that, and the year before that.

But just in case you know someone who may be stuck, help them see that it's time to get moving.  That it's time to do something different. Get the information they need, the support they need, the accountability they need, the belief they need and the focus they need to get it done...so they can begin to finally have a new conversation with you.

------------------------------------------------------------------
As the RADICAL Success Coach, Doreen Rainey helps her clients take charge of their professional and personal life. She is the founder of the Get RADICAL Women's Conference with Jillian Michaels and Niecy Nash. For more information about the 2011 conference, visit the website. Registration is now open!

No comments:

Post a Comment